Welcome, ladies and non-ladies, to yet another custom map adventure. What you see before your eyes is a picture of the Castle of Madness, ruled by yourself. That’s right: You are the Monarch of Madness. King of the unstable, leader to insanity, czar of craze – call it as you like. However, not everything is completely whack here, as there is still an easy to follow story in front of you. Fifty years ago, you went to sleep, but why exactly? You know not. All there is left of your past presence are a few notes written by your butler, who took care of you a long time ago.
What exactly is mad in this beautiful structure? And how far will you have to go in order to understand your new task? Is there a reward at the end, or will darkness invade you? There is only one way to know: Play it.
RULES AND TIPS
The rules are not numerous, because what kind of mad-man follows rules? Then again, respecting some of them may spare your life…
1. Do not break blocks, unless told to. The reason will be explained later.
2. Do not craft anything. And that means, anything. Everything you need will be given to you when needed.
3. The difficulty USED to be unimportant, but since version 1.6 of the map, playing on easy or higher is strongly recommended. I can’t force you to play with mobs on, but they will certainly add an important dose of madness.
4. There will be puzzles and some adventuring parts, which makes the map… Long enough. It took me and hour and a half to complete it, and I made the map. Take that as you will, so if you do not enjoy lengthy quests, then this map may not be for you. Still, giving it a chance would be nice. This was a tip.
5. For those of you who enjoy taking the time of checking every nook and cranny of a map, there ARE Easter eggs and various little gags. They may not be related to the story in any way, yet they might add to your experience during the exploration of this fantastic kingdom where the grand dominate the puny, and rats dominate everyone with a weak immunity system. Also, if something tells you “your current destination”, chances are it’s your current destination. If you need a flint and steel to access something, and you don’t have one yet, don’t assume you missed it and you must give one to yourself. That’s wrong.
6. Some of these rules will have to be broken, but only at some specific points throughout the map. When, you ask? I won’t tell you. Use of your own judgement to determine when you should disobey the rules.
7. You might have guessed this one by now, but if you despise reading, avoid this map entirely or disregard the signs in-game. Unfortunately, I love babbling aimlessly, so you’ll find plenty of signs everywhere. You can just break them if you hate them that much, though.
Thanks to Mojang for this magnificent game called Minecraft!
Thanks to my friend TapeitorDieGuy for help with the story-line!
Thanks to Revolvee for allowing me to build off of his base model of the castle, originally named “Castle Estel”, which I found beautiful.
Thanks to MusicalWolfe, musician extraordinaire, for… Well, play and you’ll know!
Thanks to all the games I’ve played before, since a lot of them inspired me in the creation of this map. (Yes, reference pros, you’ll see an abundance of references and quotes. Don’t think you’re the first one to spot a Paper Mario name in there!)
Thanks to lasarus for making the ImageToMap program, which certainly has many uses, despite the fact that I only used it in the second half of the map!
Finally, thanks to everyone who will play this map, comment on it, make videos of it or give any other kind of feedback!
Map author: The_Forgotten